Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 1-1 Millwall

Pre-season friendly at MEMS Priestfield Stadium finishes all square.

27 July 2021

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 1-1 Millwall

Pre-season friendly at MEMS Priestfield Stadium finishes all square.

27 July 2021

Friendly finishes all square at Priestfield.

A late goal from Millwall sub Jake Cooper ensured a 1-1 draw was played out with the Gills at MEMS Priestfield Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Kyle Dempsey had given the hosts the lead with a well struck effort on 14 minutes, but Millwall made their second half pressure pay late on when Cooper headed home from close range to beat Aaron Chapman.

Steve Evans named a strong line-up for the fixture with Vadaine Oliver, Jack Tucker, Max Ehmer, Rhys Bennett and Olly Lee all starting. Ben Reeves was also named in the XI along with Danny Lloyd and on-loan Watford midfielder, Daniel Phillips.

It was a lively start at ME7 with both sets of fans in terrific voice, many of which would not have witnessed live Football in 18 months. An early Millwall cross was gathered by Cumming, making his first appearance in goal, with a number of throw-ins and corners dealt with by the visiting defence.

However, they could nothing about the opener which was struck shortly before the quarter hour mark. Dempsey found space 20 yards from goal, a pass found him within striking range and a superb drive beat Bialkowski for pace and accuracy, going in off the post to give Gills the lead.

Millwall progressively began to show their attacking prowess and they thought they should have had a penalty on 32 minutes when Benik Afobe went down inside the box following an excellent delivery by Scott Malone. The referee, Gavin Ward, had a look but decided against the spot kick and play resumed.


H/T: 1-0


Steve Evans made three changes at the interval with Harvey Lintott, Bailey Akehurst and Stuart O’Keefe replacing Bennett, Trialist and Dempsey respectively.

An early Akehurst throw caused minor confusion in the opening stages before a cross at the other end was kept out by Cumming, an instinctive save with his left arm denying a goal scoring chance, although the offside flag had gone up in the process.

Both sides made a host of changes during the half, but goal scoring chances were few and far between with O’Keefe having a shot charged down at the Rainham End before Malone saw a left footed driven effort go wide of the post at the other end.

On 79 minutes Chapman, on for Cumming, was forced into a save when Connor Mahoney sent a left footed shot towards goal. It took a small deflection and Chapman had to readjust, saving with his legs.

However, he was beaten with five minutes to play when Mahoney's corner was delivered towards the far post, it was headed back into the mixer and Cooper headed beyond Chapman from close range to level up the scores.


F/T: 1-1


Gills: Cumming (Chapman 60), Bennett (Lintott 46), Ehmer, Tucker, Trialist (Akehurst 46), Phillips (Trialist 60), Reeves (Trialist 60), Dempsey (O’Keefe 46), Lee (Trialist 60), Lloyd (MacDonald 60), Oliver (Gale 78).

Unused subs: Akinde


Millwall: Bialkowski, McNamara (Saville 69), Wallace, Thompson (Mitchell 60), Malone, Pearce (Cooper 60), Leonard (Romeo 69), Bennett (Smith 46), Afobe (Bradshaw 46), Ballard, Evans (Mahoney 69).

Unused subs: Sandford, Boduarsson, Mitchel, Burey


Referee: Mr G Ward

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account