Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 1-2 Portsmouth

Portsmouth strike with the last kick of the game to take victory at ME7.

16 July 2022

Match Reports

Report | Gillingham 1-2 Portsmouth

Portsmouth strike with the last kick of the game to take victory at ME7.

16 July 2022

Gills denied a result at Priestfield as Portsmouth find the net with the last kick of the game.

Former Gills defender Connor Ogilvie scored the Portsmouth winner as Gillingham lost 2-1 at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium in a pre-season friendly on Saturday.

Olly Lee’s corner had found its way into the back of the net midway through the second half. That came after Reeco Hackett had put Portsmouth in front in the first half.

Joe Gbode led the line for Gills as Neil Harris opted to start the young forward against Danny Cowley's men. Jordan Green and Cheye Alexander both started after signing contracts on Friday.

Olly Lee had the first opportunity of the game as he decided to try his luck from 20 yards. His effort had plenty of venom, but it was a comfortable save for Josh Griffiths in the Portsmouth goal.

In the 27th minute, Reeco Hackett put Portsmouth in front. The visitors won possession inside the Gillingham half, and Hackett was put through on goal. He was one-on-one with Jake Turner and slotted it beyond the Gills keeper by guiding a shot across the advancing keeper.

Green caused Portsmouth problems throughout the first half, and he came close to equalising in the 42nd minute. Gills played their way towards the Portsmouth penalty area, and Lee’s smart flick allowed Green to get into the penalty area with space. He directed his low-drilled effort across the goal towards the bottom corner, but it went just wide of the upright.


HALF-TIME: Gillingham 0-1 Portsmouth


In the 54th minute, Joe Pigott had the first chance of the second half. He received the ball on the edge of the box and opted to shoot. He directed his effort towards the bottom corner, but Turner did well to get down and push it wide.

With twenty minutes to go, Gills began to increase the pressure and put a barrage on the Pompey goal. Ben Reeves, who came on just after the hour, forced Toby Steward into a good save as he was forced to palm his effort behind for a corner.

From the corner, Elkan Baggot came close as his looping header towards the back post almost snuck its way into the side netting. However, Steward was on hand to push it away. Gills kept the ball alive, and Mikael Mandron did brilliantly to get enough power on his header to force the Portsmouth keeper to push the ball wide at full stretch.

From the resulting corner, Lee found the back of the net directly from it. His corner was curled into the box and somehow found the far corner. There were multiple players around the ball, but it was unclear as to whether anyone got a touch on it.

In the final minute of the game, Connor Ogilvie headed Portsmouth back in front. A cross towards the edge of the six-yard box saw Ogilvie on his own as he was allowed to direct his header towards the bottom corner. It hit the post before bouncing over the line. 


FULL-TIME: Gillingham 1-2 Portsmouth


Gillingham: Turner, Alexander (Akehurst 61’), Wright (Carter 75’), Baggott, Tutonda (Giles 75’), Williams (Jefferies 61’), O’Keefe, Green (Reeves 61’), Lee (Macarthur 66’), Kashket (MacDonald 61’), Gbode (Mandron 61’)

Unused Substitutes: Holtam


Portsmouth: Griffiths, Swanson (Tunnicliffe 46’), Robertson (Gifford 66’), Mnoga, Ogilvie, Pack, Curtis, Pigott (Thomas 66’), Hackett, Thompson (Bridgman 66’), Jabobs (Jewitt-White 80’)

Unused Substitutes: Freeman, Mingi


Attendance: 1356 (248 Pompey supporters)

Referee: Mr T Robinson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account